Saturday, January 9, 2010

Intro

Hello!

I am Heather, mommy to twin boys G and E. They were born 8 weeks early in September 2009. I just went back to work as a special education teacher and am learning the balance between, work, mommyhood, and maintaining my sense of self. Oh...and I would really love to be able work out again sometime!

My pregnancy was my first and was the exact opposite of normal almost from the beginning. I had a good idea I was pregnant as my cycle was regular (for me anyway!). I got a faint positive 11 days past ovulation and a positive digital the next day. At first I was scared to death, because I had experienced a loss at 6 weeks the previous fall. I had my doctor draw levels from my blood to check the status-if I was going to miscarry I wanted to be prepared. My first levels drawn at 11 days past ovulation were 39. Two days later they were 94, so I was well on my way!

I had my first appointment and sonogram at 8 weeks, on April Fool's Day. Other than being extremely tired, I had no morning sickness to speak of. My boobs hurt a little, but I did not feel particularly pregnant, so I was worried what the sonogram might show. Pregnancy is different for every woman, but they really don't emphasize how mental you can be when you are pregnant. If another lady feels all sorts of symptoms from her first positive test and you feel nothing, you definitely wonder what is wrong with you!

My husband went to my appointment with me. Our sonographer got out the ....um....Cooter Cam and a picture pulled up on her screen. Some of the ladies in my online due date club had posted sonograms, so I had a good idea of what I was looking for. I thought I saw two little blips on the screen but then decided I simply did not know as much as I thought I did. Then our tech started to chuckle and said "How do you feel about two babies?" I think one of us asked her if it was an April Fool's joke. She smiled and said "No!" and pointed out the two separate embryo's on the screen.

My husband, Randy stroked my hair, his face absolutely shocked. Not being a person who cries, I was surprised that tears started streaming down my face. Not only was my baby ok, I had 2 babies (and virtually no symptoms!). I remember the feelings of shock and pure joy. Excitement and terror felt exactly the same!

My exam went well and my doctor went into great detail about the differences with a twin pregnancy. She would require that I go on modified bed rest in my third trimester, so I would not be able to return to teaching in the fall. She was going to have an ultrasound at every appointment to monitor the babies. I would also have to see a perinatologist for a level 2 ultrasound and to test for any issues due to my advanced maternal age (34).

30 may be the new 20, but 34 is advanced maternal age. That seems to be the equivalent of old...doesn't it?

None of it mattered. I was pregnant, with twins.

Holy crap!

No comments:

Post a Comment