Thursday, January 26, 2012

But which one am I?

It has gone one for weeks now.

"Who is that?"
"Mommy."
"Who is that?"
"Daddy."
"Who is that?"
"E-Dude."
"Who are you?"
"E-Dude!"
"You are G-Man big boy!"

We have a bit of an identity complex here in the TwinSane Asylum.  Both boys think they are E-Dude.  If I ask their name, it is always E-Dude.  Point to one of them in the mirror, E-Dude.  Show them a picture of both of them?  Oh yes, you've got it "E-Dude!"

I never thought they would have trouble distinguishing themselves from one another.  After all, I use their names every day.  I point to their happy little faces in the mirror and repeat their own name, after we have a nonsensical conversation about Mommy in the mirror, of course. At the end of the day, I expect strangers to have a tough time telling them apart but I figured it ended there.

This development was completely unexpected.

With no clue how to approach it, I took the simple route.  The three of us would look in the mirror and I would point to myself and say "Mommy", point to E-Dude and say his name, then point to G-Man and say his name.

Every
Single
Day

for what felt like forever, but in reality was only a few weeks.  And today it happened.  I was quizzing them as they got dressed this morning.  Helping G-Man put on his shoes, I asked who I was, who his brother was, and finally, with a huge deep breath..."What's your name?"

Big toothy smile and response, "G-Man!"

Needless to say there was an impromptu dance party in the nursery as a follow up.  Now if only I can get them to hold up two fingers when I ask them how old they are....



Linking up with MOB Society.  Let's Hear it For the Boys!

16 comments:

  1. Of course who would not want to be E-Dude.. that is the coolest name.. G-Man is pretty cute to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) We call them our 'righteous dudes', lol

      Delete
  2. Cute! They will enjoy this story one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun! Our twin girls are now 23 years old--yikes--where does the time go?? One of the (many) funny things that happened in conversation with them is this little incident I remember so clearly: They were a little bit older but still enjoying dressing the same, maybe 7 or 8 years old. One day before we were out the door somewhere in a rush, one daughter said to the other: Quick, turn around so I can see how I look! :o) Aaah, enjoy those beautiful boys!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny, I can so imagine that happening.

      Delete
  4. haha! that's so cute! your boys are darling.

    i'm stopping over from M&M blog hop...i have twin girls who are almost 3. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for twins! They are so much fun, aren't they?

      Delete
  5. YAY! Happy dance was definitely necessary! Go G-man!
    New follower, found you on M&M Follow me Friday! We have 15 month old fraternal twin girls and are loving it! Look forward to following you!
    www.creightonchic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to check out your blog, than you for stopping by! Happy dancing seems to be a ritual for us :)

      Delete
  6. Saw you link on Multiples and More and hey, I'd love to have a cool name like E-Dude too. Your boys sound adorable

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a patient Mama! Good for you and your little boys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you on M&M, too!

    Yea for happy dances! This is definitely a story to remember to tell them when they are older. Too cute!

    I have 4 year old fraternal boys. They will still misidentify each other in pictures...and they look nothing alike! I think they are just so close that each is an extention of the other. To them it is like they are looking at themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting about your boys. You are right, it must be just that they are an extension of one another. Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete