Monday, January 16, 2012

Stellar Moments in Mommyhood

Yesterday I rolled my ankle, which probably helped contribute to my cranky posting.  And by rolled my ankle I mean, hit the side of the sidewalk, felt the ankle crumble and dove on to the grass.  My hands are torn up from throwing down my arms.  So what did I do?  Walked a few feet and then kept on running.  After all, who wants to mess up a long run when the ankle is not really bothering you?

I got in close to 7 miles when the ankle did start to bother me and I decided to listen.  Flash forward to today and my ankle is the size of a nectarine and very bruised.  Ah, I am so brilliant.  I have iced it and it is in a brace designed for a sprain, but really, with two munchkins, who has the time or money to go to the doctor  to be told to rest, ice, compress and elevate?



Which brings me to the moment of my "Parent of the Year Award."  The boys asked to brush their teeth about 10 times before I figured out what they were asking. "Tee...Tee...TEE!"

They love brushing their teeth, which is to say they love sucking the water off the bristles and swallowing the fluoride free toothpaste.  I usually have to intercede to get some semblance of brushing  to actually occur, but they love being there and love using the toothbrush, so I just let them do what they do best.

This was one of the mornings when they wanted to make toothbrushing into a lengthy game.  Since they are not tall enough to turn on the water, I let them stand on their stools and chomp away on their brushes while I ran in to run clothes through the dryer a second time.  This literally took 30 seconds.

As I got out of the laundry room, I heard the sweet, excited little voices yelling, "Water, Water!"  And turned the corner in time to see E-Dude pull his toothbrush out of the toilet and close the lid.

I now have a new definition for potty mouth.  And one of the 1,000 things I am grateful for today is that I had bought replacement toothbrushes at Christmas.

We used them right away.

2 comments:

  1. Ew. You know? I bet that isn't the worst thing they've ever put in their mouths. Thank goodness for immune systems to ward off potty germs :)

    Thank you, Jesus for replacement toothbrushes! Our girls got toothbrushes in their stockings, and they've come in really handy for us too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my grossed out squeal could only be heard by dogs, lol. I was so glad I thought to put toothbrushes in the stockings. YUCK :)

      Delete