Saturday, January 7, 2012

Where IS my belt?

The other morning I could not find my belt.

Perhaps for some this isn't a big deal.  However, as a decidedly non girly-girl, I do not wear belts as cute accessories, but as a necessary tool to prevent waist gap in my jeans. The past few months, the belt has become a necessity in actually holding UP the jeans, as I am proud to say I can take them off and put them on without unbuttoning them. Suffice it to say that when you are a teacher it is a bad idea to wear jeans that could potentially fall off your body at any given point in time.  I do not want to be the reason for a "Teacher Full Moon" video on Youtube!

Alas the belt could not be found. Yes, in case you are wondering, I own 1 belt.  Yes, I am fully aware I will not be winning any awards with the Fashionistas.  So I did it...I reached WAY back into the closet and tried on each of the 6 pair of pre-pregnancy jeans that had once fit with ease. As you know, the boys are two, and I have held on to these jeans as desperately as a drowning swimmer clings to a flotation device. I have simply refused to throw out those jeans even though 12 weeks of bed rest and pregnancy really do fundamentally change the shape of the body.

I have tried on said pairs of jeans at various points post pregnancy with rather interesting results.

  •   'cannot get them past my calves' to
  • 'when did my thighs get THIS big? to 
  • 'okay they are over the butt with no chance of buttoning' to
  • 'well,. they are buttoned, but between the muffin top and camel toe there is no way I am wearing them."
To be fair I had been at the last stage for the past few months, despite regular running (even a half marathon!). I didn't have high hopes as I cautiously slipped on the jeans this morning. Several pair were still a smidge tight and though not designed to be such gave the illusion of wearing jeggings,  but there was improvement. Then the 3 pair of same styled, same brand jeans each fit completely differently. Amazingly, one pair fit well enough to wear to work. (Although I made sure my shirt was long due to massive waist gap).

I am quite sure I heard the lovely voices of angels singing in choir as I realized that well over 2 years since having my boys a pair of my jeans actually fit. It was a Miracle!

At a time of year when many people are beginning weight loss and fitness programs, know that I am silently praying you succeed. It is a huge struggle to not be happy with the look or feel of your body, when our society is bombarded with false images of 'the ideal body'. Gyms that are packed in January are significantly thinned out in February because we get so discouraged.

I am going into 2012 with a similar mentality to the one I had last year. Keep running consistently and improve the quality of what I am eating. It isn't a fast results plan, but there is also less potential of failure. If I screw it up, I start going again.

Not even 'fitness experts' have it easy. A dear friend of mind is married to a leading "Diet Guru" in America and she is struggling with her weight. Frankly, I can't imagine the pressure she puts on herself as a result of how the world views the wife of a diet guy. She is determined to change her habits and get back to the weight where she felt her best in a brutally honest and funny blog complete with progress pictures. So, if you need a little motivation, or a reminder that everyone struggles with diets, give her a chance.

Meanwhile I will attempt to find my belt.

2 comments:

  1. This is so, so great! So great! Loved your post. I am right their struggling to lose weight. UG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tiffany! It is a big ugh, isn't it? Praying for it to be less of a struggle for you.

    ReplyDelete