Friday, May 18, 2012

Being Mom

A few weeks ago I was lamenting the fact that my husband would be in France for Mother's Day.  Compounded by the fact that he had been out of town on Easter, I was not quiet about my displeasure of his impending work trip.

Mother's Day came and went simply.  It was a lovely day at church, and our Church Family happily well wished all of the Mother's.  The boys came home with adorable hand print crafts and their smart Daddy thought to leave out the card they 'bought' for me.

As if they knew, the boys kindly napped for 3 hours, thus giving me a lovely little nap on a Sunday.  When they awoke, they were content to cuddle up with me on the couch and watch Yo Gabba Gabba.  Somewhere in the intoxicating haze of snuggling with my babies I realized it.

I had let the notion of what "Mother's Day" should be escape me.  I hate card created holidays (ie Valentine's Day) and this is one of them.  Of course we should honor parents, of course they deserve a Day that is in their honor.  But there is a problem with a holiday that is unwittingly designed to make people feel lousy: for not being able to be mothers, or having lost their mother, or having not so pleasant memories of their mother.

It isn't about flowers, candy, cards, or breakfast in bed.  It isn't about 'getting a break.' It is about getting the opportunity to raise a tiny human into adulthood.  It is about praising success, kissing away tears, hugs, laughter, messes, time outs, joys and heartaches.

Wrapped tight in the embrace of my little dudes, I realized I already had the best Mother's Day gift.  I got to BE a mom for Mother's Day. 

It was awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! So true!

    Happy Mother's Day--today and every day--to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post to read this morning - and just before I get my boys up and out of bed. (Actually, this is worth reading every morning.) I came across your blog via your feature on Multiples and More. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete