Friday, June 1, 2012

Boy parts. Let's face it.

The last 2 weeks of high school are always a whirlwind, and I am sad that I didn't have tons of extra time to spend on my outlet of writing this blog.  But, it is summer now and I am super excited to hang out with the dudes and play around our city.

I have heard people call boy parts and girl parts all sorts of things.  Pee pee, wee wee, front butt (my personal favorite), et cetera.  From a slightly nerdy and left brained perspective, I just use the actual name of the part.  I figure our kids don't get exposed to real or scientific terms as much as they should.  Science vocabulary is one of the most difficult things for my students to grasp because it is so alien to them.  I call rain precipitation (and rain) explain the finer points of photosynthesis while watering green plants and so on.

Obviously I wondered if this was going to backfire on me.  

For the record, I am going to type the actual word in my post, so if it weirds you out to see it in print, please go no further.  

Naturally when the boys started pulling on their boy parts and calling it their belly I corrected them.  "No baby, that is your penis."  I have said that to them a few times here and there and don't make any kind of fuss over it.

The other night during bath time G-Man looked down, pointed and said "That's my penis!"  (I should win an Academy Award for keeping a straight face, on the inside I was nearly peeing my pants in laughter).  "That IS your penis, it is where the pee comes out."

And that was it.

I thought.

Today's bath brought more male apparatus awareness.  "That's my penis. It's yucky." 

"It isn't yucky honey, it is part of your body." (again with a straight face.)

"My Penis"  Points to brother "E-Dude's penis."

Great.  Not only are we making language strides and recognizing ownership of items, we are doing so via anatomy.

Then the bigger realization.  They really ARE little sponges.  Wonder what is going to come out of their mouths next...


6 comments:

  1. Oh boy! Way to keep a strait face, and way to use correct terminology! As a biology major, myself, I agree with using the proper anatomical words to describe our body parts.

    When I was still nursing the girls, they would often put their hands on my chest, or grab my collar bone. And, I'd always tell them---"That's Mama's sternum" or "That's Mama's clavicle." So---at 15 months, they could point out their clavicle and sternum. Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sternum and Clavicle. That is awesome! You may be my new hero :)

      Delete
  2. HA! They always make huge language leaps with anatomy words it seems!!! My girls just had a discussion last week about diapers going on their butts....hmmm...yeah, after the fact I kind of regretted using the word butt...not that there's anything wrong with that word, but it's not quite so cute coming out of the mouth of a nearly 2 year old...perhaps heiney would have been better? IDK...
    Good for you btw for using anatomical terms. We use vagina, although we went back on forth on whether or not we should use labia (which I believe to be the more correct anatomical term). We try not to make a big deal about it either, but I suspect we too will have a similar instance to you guys - ownership and use of anatomy - along with massive language development- naturally =).
    Totally get where you are coming from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do use butt or bottom, thankfully they are not as fascinated with that part of the body unless toots are coming out ;) Kids are the best form of entertainment!

      Delete
  3. I applaud you for the straight face. I would have just been a real bad example and collapsed in a head of loud laughter. I say "bum" but I'm still trying to figure out what to call the front privates for my girls. "Vagina" just sorta stumbles coming out of my mouth. Working on it though

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the laugh!!! Can't wait till these little sponges start spouting stuff out in public, much like their Momma did :)

    ReplyDelete