Thursday, April 18, 2013

Dallas Zoo Excursion


As a teacher, my days off tend to coincide with the days off of many other districts, which in turn leads to massive crowds at family friendly places.  Like zoos, aquariums, museums, etc.  My mom and husband can attest to my complete lack of patience with the behavior of people in crowds, so in an effort to save lives, I tend to avoid places when they will be ridiculously crowded. (You know, like malls at Christmas crowded)

This means that in the 16 years I have lived in Dallas, I have never visited the zoo.  And I love animals.  So when winter graced us with mild weather and my district got a day off last week (reserved for a snow day).  My husband and I decided to take the boys to the Dallas Zoo.

If you have ever lived in Dallas, you will always hear that the Fort Worth Zoo is the better zoo and better experience-although recently Dallas has added a Wilds of the Savannah exhibit which helps it tremendously.

With 3.5 year olds, I figured an excursion around the Dallas Zoo would be plenty.  And you know what?  We LOVED it.  Several areas have lounging chairs and benches where you can relax and watch the animals do their thing.  We were tempted to relax and watch the zebras and giraffes wander about while we sat on comfy chairs.  But the dudes were way too excited for that.

I also recommend bringing your own food.  There are plenty of picnic areas and zoo food is pricey! 

It was so much fun watching the boys enjoy different areas of the park.  E-dude loved everything- he is my animal boy.  And even though feeding the giraffe was a little bit overwhelming for him, he adored the giraffes.  And the cheetah-that walked up to the glass like he was saying hi. 

Or the penguin that leaped into the water, swimming right towards them.  My little E-dude loved it all.  He got SO excited.

G-Man loved the Golden Lion Tamarins-their wild energy matched G-Man's own, and he cracked up watching them scamper about.

It was a wonderful day-and the zoo has plenty to do.  Looks like a Zoo membership for this family next year!
Hanging on the crocodile statue.



No joke, we went to look at the lion and this cheetah walked up to the glass and just sat-like he was saying "hey, come back, I am WAY cooler than that lion."




This crazy penguin jumped in the water and swam right over to the boys.  He hung out and they chattered with him. E-Dude was quite perturbed about having to leave.


An interactive area where you can feed the birds nectar.  This was slightly traumatic for me as I had flashbacks to the movie "The Birds," but as you can see, E-Dude loved it.


See?  They tried to eat me.  One of them initially landed on my head and then bit me when I was trying to get it off.


WE could have watched these guys all day.  E-Dude was excited to feed them until the big head got close.


My loves.


G-Man was not keen on pictures today.


No comments:

Post a Comment